Spring is in the air here in Greensburg and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Wallpe Heating & Cooling team has some recommendations that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous vacation on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Wallpe Heating & Cooling in Greensburg a call at 812-663-7252.