According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Wallpe Heating & Cooling in Greensburg about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at Wallpe Heating & Cooling. A yearly inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Checking your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts open.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Greensburg home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Wallpe Heating & Cooling at 812-663-7252 or schedule an appointment online.