They say knowledge is power, and that’s certainly true when it comes to your air conditioner. While challenging repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve ordinary AC issues.
Learning how your AC works and the common problems it faces will allow you to tackle easy problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you dollars on minor service calls, but understanding when to contact a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into complex repairs.
Your Air conditioning unit is an essential part of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Greensburg if you're not sure about any aspect of your AC's operation or maintenance.
Here are several typical questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is an effective way to make sure it works efficiently, and possibly could extend the life of your unit.
The most important thing you can do on your own is to change the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter traps dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating throughout your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it ought to in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters can be purchased at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be ordered from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the proper filter is to look at your old one before you go shopping, noting the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are hoping to buy something similar.
For detailed service of your air conditioner, contact the experienced professionals like the crew at Wallpe Heating & Cooling to do scheduled maintenance on your AC. They’ll look over your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential problems.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making certain that your indoor air conditioning unit is operating efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the exterior unit of your air conditioner is a quick way to increase its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which include extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the cooler air outside. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can soak up more heat from the air inside your home. Cleansing the fins and the coils can help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut down power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, rather than turning the thermostat off.
2) Take off the top of the outdoor AC so you can access the interior of the unit. Then, being cautious not to pull hard on any cords or attachments, safely set the top to the side.
3) Put a cleaning solution on the fins, first at the top and then working your way down. Commercial coil cleaners are available and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as brands foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most brands, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to dissolve the grime and then carefully spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray too hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning the unit back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner can vary based on the type of unit, its quality, how often it's maintained and how much it's used. That said, experts say you should start getting ready for air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your air conditioner is through regular conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from Wallpe Heating & Cooling includes cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as replacing the filter and mending any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as it can, reach out to us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Greensburg.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Picking out the right size of air conditioner for your home is crucial for keeping comfort and efficiency. Here are some factors to consider when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The amount of space you need to cool is one of the biggest factors. More expansive spaces necessitate more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes retain cool air better, which should reduce your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to someone living in a cooler environment.
- Number of windows: Windows can let in heat, especially when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house means more body heat, which may influence your cooling needs.
- Current HVAC system: The size and effectiveness of your current system can provide a starting point for deciding what you need.
Because the size of your AC is so critical to your home’s comfort, you will almost certainly want a professional opinion. At Wallpe Heating & Cooling, we take the time to thoroughly understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why Wallpe Heating & Cooling is known for exceptional air conditioning installation in Greensburg.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices fluctuate depending on the size of the unit and your home’s unique needs, a new AC generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good news is that new air conditioners are designed to be exceptionally efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price tag of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs as well as federal regulations that can impact the design.
Realize these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always smart to get numerous quotes from trusted HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Greensburg, contact Wallpe Heating & Cooling. We will schedule an appointment to provide you with a free estimate, explain the procedure and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An AC freezing up can be brought on by multiple factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your unit is experiencing issues causing it to freeze up, it is more than likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical reasons for AC freezing up:
- Inadequate airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't effectively absorb heat. This could be due to a clogged air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is getting low on refrigerant, it may grow too cold and freeze up. This is usually because of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Cold outdoor temperatures: Running your air conditioner when it's very cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to function in temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Malfunctioning thermostats, damaged blower motors and issues with the relay or control board can all contribute to an AC unit freezing up.
Wallpe Heating & Cooling is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Greensburg.
At Wallpe Heating & Cooling, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our skilled specialists are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Greensburg and the surrounding areas.
If you’re planning to upgrade or its time for a replacement, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-rate air conditioning installation in Greensburg. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Call Wallpe Heating & Cooling today at 812-663-7252 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!